Msn Chat Admin Client

Guest Glock

TBH, I can't believe the fascination with the Chat Admin Client.

I am sure you all remember MSN Comic Chat. Well, take out the comic part, and you are left with the CAC. It was one of the worst chat clients ever designed for the people that had to manage the MSN chat service. That is the reason that Admins, Sysops, and Guides (at least in the US market), used their own tools instead. Remember that all comic chat offered you were Rule Sets, one of the worst scripting languages (if you can even call it that) ever designed. Sure, it was fine for Comic Chat users, but no serious chatter would ever use it.

There were some other changes that had to be made to the CAC to make it work properly on MSN chat, but nothing that would be useful today. For example, MSN used a unique server structure. The first thing to remember is that all servers were not linked as they are in the way a normal IRCd is linked. Each room was on one chat server only. So, to join a room, you first had to connect to a Directory Server (DS). Then you'd look up the room name to see which Chat Server (CS) it was on. The DS is what scripters called the FINDS server because that was the command used to look up the room on the DS. Once you had the name/address of the CS, you'd connect to it and join the room.

So, seriously, if you want to see what the CAC was like, find a copy of Comic Chat and use it in Text Mode (no comics) and you will experience EXACTLY what we did when the MSN Web Chat service first opened. After a few months, we all moved away from it.

Koach

• 1 month later...

As far as I know, the only current server that supports Admin Client is IRC7, although pretty much no one uses it on that network.

- It still requires the workaround by Liam in the original post, as IRC7 only supports NTLMv1 at present

Edited by dad4all